Naval Research Laboratory (NRL)
Perform cutting edge research with the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) through the Department of Navy HBCU/MI Internship Summer Program
If you’re an undergraduate or graduate student interested in research, here’s a valuable opportunity to work with world-renowned scientists and engineers in Washington, D.C. Many research projects have the potential to make a significant impact in the scientific and global community.
This immersive program will further develop your skills for a career in science, mathematics and engineering. As a research intern, you’ll actively participate in state-of-the-art research relevant to the Department of Defense, Department of Navy and the NRL. You’ll learn how to deliver effective oral presentations, prepare technical reports, and develop your network.
This internship program has been offered virtually since 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. When it transitions back to an in-person internship, housing is provided at a reduced rate in Alexandria, VA, and roundtrip travel to Washington, D.C. is provided (if necessary).
- Undergraduate or graduate student
- Currently enrolled at an HBCU, MSI, or Tribal College/University
- At least one year of undergraduate training in science, mathematics or engineering.
- $8,500 stipend as an undergraduate student
- $10,900 stipend as a graduate student
- Round-trip airfare and housing at a reduced rate when in-person internships resume.
A comprehensive, multi-component program in which you’ll conduct state-of-the art research under the guidance of principle investigators at the NRL.